Saturday, August 29, 2015

Location! Location! Location!

The prime location will be an adaptive reuse of the existing building shell currently owned and operated by O'Steen Meats Specialities!

I have decided to go ahead and proclaim this as my site for my Capstone. Currently in the process of getting building drawings, I will know the actual and precise square footage of the building as soon as I get the drawings.

I plan to visit the site to get photos of the exterior and surrounding environment soon; possibly this Sunday, 8/29, before I head in to work. It kind of goes in my favor that this building is so close to work AND that it belongs to the family! *I hope there is no conflict of interest issues?!* This being said, I pledge to do all of the leg work and NOT assume and rely on things being given to me just because. *Not that I expect this type of treatment from any members of the O'Steen Meats Specialities team!*

My plan is to develop a mixed-use building offering services in Recreation, Restaurant, and Retail. More precisely, a community action and service center, a cafeteria and food truck stop, and a library and bookstore. I want to put focus on an innovative, sustainable, and inclusive design that will in turn, give back to the community and facility users. Oklahoma City is quickly becoming well-known for its diverse and eclectic community with trendy shops and stand-alone restaurants conveniently located throughout Automobile Alley, Midtown, The Plaza District, and Downtown OKC. I envision the addition of a public community center that offers a variety of services more than that offered through the existing local Y. M. C. A. My vision feels less scholastic or expected and more casual with a air of leisure. For example, let's say you are looking for a space to have small yoga session with your friends that also offers a distraction for some of your friend's younger kids? This facility will have indoor as well as outdoor rooftop space big enough for you and your yogis, while their kids can lounge in the library and read books or do school work. When yoga is done and you've completed your last vinyasa and after stopping to pick up the kids, and buy the new yoga book you've been meaning to buy online but happening upon it in this bookstore, you and your now larger group find yourselves hungry! You all could grab a bite to eat in the hip cafeteria offering a buffet of healthy and delicious foods. If there's nothing there that will appease your palette, check out the line of local food trucks parked just outside! Basically, I want to design the next great local downtown destination. A theory that I have developed since I started working downtown: if it's convenient and within walking distance with great service, it will be successful.

I think this could be something. ^,^



No comments:

Post a Comment